Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Ultimate in Country Living... The Pig Roast

When I think about my life on the farm, there are so many things that come to mind as to what is great about country living. Fresh air, animals, gardening... All things that make me really appreciate where I live. But out of all of the things I love about farm life, there is one thing that really stands out above the rest - our annual Pig Roast.

To be able to have around a hundred of our nearest and dearest, from all walks of life, here on the farm having a blast, is just too wonderful to describe, but I'll try.

This year, despite morbid weather forecasts, we had a spectacular sunny and dry weekend. The piggie was perfect, thanks to my husband's home-made, gas-powered roaster (did I mention he's a gas fitter?), which has had several tweaking sessions over the last few years since it's inception (I think almost all the men in my life have had something to do with improving the roaster...).

The pool was crystal clear, and about 90 degrees. The emphasis here has to be on crystal because I'm ashamed to admit that it started the year as nothing short of a swamp. The last month or so of my life has been virtually dedicated to the revitalisation of the pool - if the words "backwash", "shock", and "rinse" don't mean anything to you, then I can help. Maybe I need to start a pool-care for dummies blog... ok... focus... the pool is now crystal clear, and that's all that matters.

So to sum up - best part of country living = the ability to throw huge bbq parties with great food, great folks, and great fun, without ever having a complaint from the neighbors or the cops, because they're all invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
In May of 2006 I moved onto a 67 acre farm in Alexandria, Ontario. My husband Mike and I live here with our ever-expanding menagerie, and the adventures never seem to end...

Followers